Friday, July 4, 2008

Firecrackers and 5ks

Today as you probably know is the fourth of July. Go America. That being said and now that I have gotten my patriotism out of the way I figured what better way to spend a fourth of July (besides the obvious, fighting off aliens alongside Will Smith) than compete in a 5k.

With my back out of commission I have been reduced to becoming an amphibian; part man, part scientist, all sea otter (Kind of like a mini Jabber Jaw_). Yes, to many people's surprise, I have been taking the necessary time to heal and mend my broken back and have shied away from thrashing my body with my normal training volume. Soon though I vow to be back training full time and when that magical day comes I will be a force to be reckoned with at Clearwater.

So back to my 5k which I am sure everyone is wondering, WTF you ran a 5k? No, I did not run I swam a 5k. 1.whatever down river and 1.whatever back up stream in roughly an hour. Looks like my swimming is coming along even with taking a full week off from doing anything.

I returned to ChattyVegas on Wednesday after working a miserable, blitzkrieg of 50hrs in four days in the biochemistry lab. I was running on average 25-30 samples a day! Tough stuff. Nothing like a mental exercise when your body is crapping out on you. Yesterday was spent with my mother who I have not seen in weeks since she has been doing mission work in the third world country of Equador. Hearing about her trip only reinforced my excitement about Kristen and my trip to Africa next summer.

temp. I hate not racing Chattanooga Waterfront but I do not envy those that will be swimming in that water. We set out in the dark spotting off the far bank as our course wrapped around the bank and dropped us into a cove. Since it was the fourth people thankfully were getting a late start on the lake to This morning in typical Josh Wheeler fashion, I awoke at my normal 4:45am to get the swim race on time. I recently got a one cup French Press Coffee Maker which has been saving my life in these wee hour mornings. I jumped in my car flew down the mountain (ib flew not the right word since I just got a speeding ticket as I was attempting to hone in my nascar skills driving through Johnson City, 'If you're not first, you're last'). I got the swim start with about thirty minutes to spare and promptly was the first to jump in the water which was around bathtub and we seemingly had the lake to ourselves at 7am. I was mindful not to take it out too hard since I have not swam since Sunday. However, I couldn't control myself and dropped the hammer early hoping to get onto the flipper guys feet. That worked for about the first 1000m then I got dropped and put in my place with the normal swimmers. Still not a bad position to be in. I did realize that when I swim openwater I have trouble holding a steady pace. Unlike cycling or running I cannot judge my speed so I am constantly accelerating and decelerating. I was trying to learn how to more effectively draft in the water since I suck at this skill and typically spend most of every triathlon swimming alone by myself in zig zags from buoy buoy. I learned as usual that I need to draft off the hip but I felt bad doing so because I kept runnign into the swimmer in front of me. Finally we reached the turnout point, a piece of shit rotten dock with two bass fishing boats tied up to it. Get R Done. The fishermen (I think I am giving them too much credit calling them fishermen, when in reality they were just bubbas out getting their fishing done before what they called the 'parade, sturred up all the trouts') Always fun to mix with the locals. The way back I was finally coming around on my stroke and settled down a little. I finished probably fourth or fifth person back in a little over an hour and five minutes. Not to shabby I guess when you consider that was a faster average than I did for the Fl 70.3 swim and I was swimming up river.

The remainder of the day was spent breaking into our neighbor's pool since they are out of town (hey I am from TN, I do have do partake in something redneck, white trash on the 4th) and finishing my newest book No Shortcuts to the Top by Ed Viesturs, one the greatest high mountain climbers in the world, and reading my MCAT book. Ahh, I love my off days.

Headed back to Boone Town on Sunday with school starting up on Tuesday. Wonderful, right back to work. Should be back up to training alittle next week and surely back to full steam the following week. Watch out, I am focused, healed and ready to rip the aero bars off with my teeth...right...

No comments: