Sunday, June 1, 2008

Peddle Faster, I Hear Banjo Music

Taken from one of my favorite hippie bumper stickers around Boone, "Paddle Faster, I hear banjo music," I thought the title only fitting after my 4.5hrs jaunt through the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee.

Today I rode for a long time. I rolled mad thunder the whole time, practiced my nutrition and did not seem to get too worn out until the final eight mile climb (don't know what I was thinking trying to tackle Shulls Mill after biking for eighty miles but we'll know for next time...)

I started out under overcast skys and got soaked for the first hour. Then the sun opened up and shined down its smiling rays of joy on the road making it a freaking sauna. Unbeknown to me I ended up riding a good portion of the Blood,Sweet,andGears course. There were plenty of Appalachian, backwoods types out on the course to cheer me on though so I didn't get too lonely. I was happy to see a wide variety of ex-Confederate Civil War soldier, Dancing Outlaw, distill moonshine in the bathtub in their front yards locals. Regardless, it was a beautiful ride through the countryside!

No comments: